Some sage advice here from innovation guru Paul Sloane about how to discourage new ideas and suggestion and crush creativity in the workplace:
1. Criticize - point out weaknesses and flaws with new ideas
2. Ban Brainstorms
3. Hoard Problems - don't involve staff on serious issues, big picture problems
4. Overwork - establish a 'burn the midnight oil culture' and everyone will be too tired to think!
5. Adhere to the plan - be inflexible, a budget is a budget, so we can't spend an un-budgeted $500 to save $50,000
6. Punish mistakes - If someone tries something new and fails, they must be punished!
7. Don't look outside - Just focus on your own industry.. i.e. if you focus on Gage R&R Problems, just stick to that
8. Don't waste money on training - talent is born, not learned
Healther Saunders; ECITB Product Dev. ManagerBook a Demo